Kazan (Volga Region) Federal University ( Казанский (Приволжский) федеральный университет) is also known by its shorter form: Kazan Federal University (Казанский федеральный университет.
The university started branding itself as KFU around 2014 but the official degrees are still issued with the longer name on the document.
The university is a product of multiple mergers over the last few years. The following institutions became part of the KFU due to mergers
- Kazan State University (named after V.I. Ulyanov-Lenin)
- Tatar State University of Humanities and Education
- Kazan State Institute of Finance and Economics
- Elabuga State Pedagogical University
- Kamsk State Academy of Engineering and Economics (INEKA)