LINE Dictionary website is a handy online tool for, among others, deciphering Chinese characters by writing them out with a virtual pen on the screen.
- On the right-hand side of the search box, click on the symbol of a pen. A box containing two squares will pop up.
- In the left-hand square, use your mouse to start drawing the Chinese character.
- As you draw, suggestions will appear in the boxes to the right.
- When you see the character that is your match, click on it, and it will appear in the search box. If there is no match for your character, try drawing it again.
- Continue to draw and add next characters using the same method until the entire word/phrase will appear in the search box. You can also check the suggested character combinations that appear below the search box. (If the pop-up is covering them, you can move it with your mouse.)
- When ready, click "search" icon.
Sample word in progress (first character already in the search box, second character completed but not yet selected), followed by sample results for the completed word (two characters):