Th Government Council meeting of 30 June 2016 has brought a number of changes to the Moroccan higher education area. One of the decrees addresses the issue of expanding educational opportunities by creating new educational establishments and programs. Within this project, among other discussed changed, the following new institutions are to be established:
- Institute of Sport Sciences within the Université Hassan I
- Faculties of Medicine and Health Sciences, replacing the existing Faculties of Medicine and Pharmacy and two Faculties of Dentistry within the Université Chouaib Doukkali
- Higher School of Technology Sidi Bennour within the Université Chouaib Doukkali
- Faculty of Legal, Economic and Social Sciences in Aït Melloul within the Université Ibn Zohr
- 15 New Polytechnics within 11 universities, formed via mergers of higher schools of technology, faculties of sciences and technology, and national schools of applied sciences
Along with these structural changes, there will also be new national diplomas offered by the newly merged institutions.